Letters to the Editor

Shakespeare at ULV

Dear Editor,

Obviously the Campus Times and staff writer Deanna Reyes are under the impression that Shakespeare has not been a subject on campus before the spring semester 2000 [“Kahan revives Shakespeare at ULV,” Feb. 25]. I was shocked at first and then disheartened after reading the article on Dr. Jeffrey Kahan.

First of all, any professional reporter and any editor with the intention of presenting a correct and concise piece of journalism would have checked his or her facts before printing such a ludicrous article.

Dr. Kahan is a part-time, temporary teacher filling in for Dr. Rhoda Kachuck, who is taking a reduced load for the spring semester only. Dr. Kachuck is an expert on all things Shakespearean as well as teaching: Comedy and Tragedy, Jewish Literature, Holocaust Literature, American Stage and Theater and a few other classes I cannot bring to mind at this moment.

Her dedication to and tenure at ULV has been 28 years in the making. Dr. Kachuck is currently putting together her pilgrimage to Ashland for the Oregon Shakespeare Festival; this will be her 21st year taking students to Oregon to enjoy the Bard’s plays, as well as other authors’ plays.

If a retraction is not possible, a sincere apology is due Dr. Kachuck for the travesty done on the part of the Campus Times.

Caroline Byington
Senior

Dear Editor,

After a four-year hiatus from school I decided to return in the fall of 1998. I was very scared to be returning to school, but the teachers at ULV made me feel very comfortable and secure in my ambitions. Two of the classes I took that semester were Drama: Comedy and Tragedy and Shakespeare, both taught by Dr. Rhoda Kachuck. Dr. Kachuck helped me to embrace Shakespeare and the theatre. After two classes with her I just had to go to the Ashland Oregon Shakespeare Festival organized by Dr. Kachuck. The experience at the OSF was one of the most amazing of my life. I am going again this year, not as a student, but as a lover of Shakespeare inspired by Dr. Kachuck.

When I read Deanna Reyes’ article in the Feb. 25 edition of the Campus Times I was appalled. I was not aware that Shakespeare had been dead at ULV. I was under the impression that it was quite the opposite. Dr. Rhoda Kachuck made ULV the English Major’s No. 1 choice for studying Shakespeare. Her expertise on the subject, as well as many other subjects, is unsurpassable. Obviously the Campus Times did not do any research into Dr. Kahan’s actual position at ULV, or into who he was substituting for. The Campus Times also did not take into consideration how a teacher who has been with ULV for 28 years would feel (or how her students would feel) when opening the campus newspaper to a headline that reads “Kahan revives Shakespeare at ULV.”

In addition to this, Dr. Kahan himself should have recognized the teacher he is standing in for instead of sucking up to Dr. Werner. Dr. Kachuck is taking a reduced load for one semester, and Dr. Kahan along with the Campus Times, acts as if Dr. Kachuck does not exist!

A sincere apology is due to Dr. Rhoda Kachuck along with a retraction of the article. I hope that in the future the Campus Times will do the proper research when making such bold statements.

Christina J. Rouw
Senior

Dear Editor,

After reading Deanna Reyes’ article, I was compelled to point out her lack of research as well as the enormous injustice she has caused by writing her candy-coated, puffball piece on Dr. Kahan.

Miss Reyes inexplicably omitted the reason why Dr. Kahan was coming to La Verne in the first place-to replace Dr. Rhoda Kachuck, who is taking a semester break after 28 years of teaching Shakespeare at ULV! And by using the term “revive,” she has exposed her lack of research regarding Shakespeare’s status on campus, which is far from the desperate state she implies by suggesting Dr. Kahan’s arrival will “revive” Shakespeare at ULV. Obviously, she has not talked to Dr. Kachuck or any former students who have taken her Shakespeare class. So, please, let me give you an informed perspective.

I have recently finished my B.A. requirements as a CAPA English major at ULV in December 1999. Prior to that, I have studied acting, playwrighting, and dramatic literature in Los Angeles for the past 20 years. During this time, I have never met an acting coach, teacher, director, or student with as much knowledge, comprehension, and pure enthusiasm for Shakespeare, as my professor of Shakespeare at ULV, Dr. Rhoda Kachuck. In her class, each student was required to read and discuss 7-9 Shakespearean plays, present a Shakespearean monologue and attend at least three theatrical productions of Shakespeare. The questions on her tests are legendary among her former students as being insightful, complex, and challenging. It was through her tutelage that I came to understand and appreciate Shakespeare’s talents and contributions to the stage. I witnessed one of the greatest performances of my life, when she organized the class to see a British production of “The Tempest” in Claremont. For the past 20 years, Dr. Kachuck has also led hundreds of students up to the Shakespeare Festival in Ashland, Ore., for a 2-4 unit class.

With all this first-hand knowledge, you understand how I find Miss Reyes’ article to be lacking in research and an insult to Dr. Kachuck’s contributions at ULV.

I request that you print an apology to Dr. Kachuck for dismissing her 28 years of expertise, and a follow-up article informing the campus of Miss Reyes error in assuming Shakespeare was in need of resuscitation. I would also suggest that the Campus Times insist that their writers do a more credible job in the future.

Scott D. Do Vale (’99)

Mexico Trip

Dear Editor,

I would like to thank Enrique Gutiérrez for writing “Student’s letter questions Mexico trip activities” [Feb. 25]. I want to clarify that the reason the article came off as being negative is because it was based on my complaint letter to Dean Gingrich. Surprise, you won’t find a lot of positive ideas in a complaint letter. I didn’t talk much with Enrique because I wanted him to interview the other people that were dissatisfied with the trip. Unfortunately, the majority of the article tied into my letter; thus making me look like the only person who had complaints.

I loved Mexico, as it was truly an eye opening experience; and would highly recommend the trip to people who are looking for something that is both informative and culturally stimulating. Don’t hesitate to participate on the next trip, because I doubt many of the same problems that occurred this year, will re-occur. Those problems or issues identified in my letter were addressed by the Dean, and by Mrs. Roberts.

In regard to David Werner’s letter to the editor, I have several comments. In my opinion, if a student has a valid complaint about a class, then by all means that student should talk to the professor. If the professor doesn’t address the problem, then the student should write a letter of complaint to the Dean. Mr. Werner stated my letter did “nothing more than complain about a class.” Unfortunately that isn’t true. My letter challenged the fact that there wasn’t an evaluation process for the Mexico Interterm course; the CORE 310 class didn’t have a complete syllabus; and the HUM 320 syllabus was changed four days after we returned to the U.S. As a student, those are valid concerns.

The organization/leadership problems faced on the trip were valid concerns for anyone who paid the $1,350 fee out of their pocket. By paying that amount of money to the university, I should have been guaranteed a well organized trip that was both educational and enjoyable.

Needless to say, none of those issues would have been dealt with had the letter not been written. I pride myself on being able to stand up for what I believe in. Just because I braved the hierarchy of ULV, upset some people and broke free of the constraints forced upon me, the story was sensationalized? Go ahead then, call it sensationalism.

Lehi Dowell
Senior

Dear Editor,

Last week’s letter to the editor by Maria Sandoval [March 3] seemed to be a personal attack on Lehi Dowell. We believe that to be in poor taste. Many of us did have the same concerns that Mr. Dowell did. Though, looking at the big picture, the trip was enlightening and necessary. It’s a shame that it has been exploited in such a way.

Chris Folden
Freshman
Anna Roy
Sophomore
Kristine Werthwein
Sophomore
Jennifer Contreras
Freshman
Francisco Rodarte
Sophomore

City Parking

Dear Editor,

As an alumnus and administrator emeritus of the University of La Verne, and as a La Verne City Councilman of more than 18 years, I was disheartened to read an editorial in the Feb. 25, Campus Times under the headline “City disregards University’s needs.” This headline and article are not only misleading but are absolutely untrue. The person who wrote this article has no clue about the long-term, on-going partnership between the University and the City. Some examples of this partnership have included the following:

·The City was a source of funding for the preservation and rehabilitation of historic Miller Hall;

·The City assisted the University in its efforts to acquire financing to build the Wilson Library and Landis Academic Center;

·The City vacated land on First Street east of D Street and gave it to the University to facilitate the Oaks student living center;

·Together the University and the City constructed the La Verne Aquatics Center at Las Flores Park that serves as the home of the ULV water polo and swim teams;

·The City purchased vans and a bus for the University to transport students to events throughout Southern California;

·The City and its redevelopment agency provided financial assistance for the renovation of the University of La Verne Bookstore building as well as the previous ULV Bookstore;

·Recently the City has made Wheeler Avenue Park the home field of the ULV softball team at no cost to the University;

I find it ironic that the Campus Times editorial criticized the City for its stance on parking issues, as it was through cooperative efforts between the City and the University that led to the acquisition and development of parking lots at the Wilson Library and at C Street and Bonita Avenue. Whoever wrote this false and misleading article should have checked the facts beforehand because the University of La Verne and the City of La Verne enjoy an outstanding and potentially unparalleled relationship.

Robert F. Rodriguez
La Verne City Council Member

Leopards Volleyball

Dear Editor,

I am a former student and athlete at the University of La Verne. I have kept up pretty well with news and sports via your on-line service. I enjoy using this service and I frequently browse through back issues as well as reading the current issues. When will you publish some sort of article on the men’s volleyball team? After persistent searching, I have yet to find much on this season’s matches. I understand the multitude of sports that are covered during the spring season, but how about publishing some scores and/or stats at least?

Chris Peterson
Senior
Humboldt State University

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,