ULV deserves spot in limelight

Damien Alarcon, Editor in Chief

Damien Alarcon, Editor in Chief

University of what? Where is La Verne?” These are typical questions I have received over the past four years from people who are not familiar with the area.

With the University of La Verne being such a small school, it is understandable for many not to know about the location or the existence of this institution.

The men’s volleyball team, who last year won the National Championship, uplifted the University, thus making our school known to many. The baseball team made our school known after winning the National Championship in 1995. The debate team has brought not only national attention, but world-wide acclaim.

The ULV Greek society, which hosts four national and one local organization, has brought recognition to La Verne through contributions it has made to the community and special awards earned from headquarters and other affiliates.

Another group of students and faculty have made ULV a distinguished institution in the entire western region of the United States. Various areas of the Communications Department have earned different awards throughout the past few years. Many of the accomplishments the department has received are unknown to most of the students and maybe even teachers.

The Campus Times was ranked the No. 1 college newspaper in the state by the California Intercollegiate Press Association (CIPA) in 1997. Throughout the past five years and beyond, individual awards have been given to different people in the department who have graduated or are still attending ULV.

Last week, La Verne Magazine was named the sweepstakes winner for “Best College Magazine” by the Society of Professional Journalists, the foremost journalism organization in the country. Many writers of the magazine also earned awards for their individual stories, not to mention the fact that several students within the Communications Department itself have gained several prestigious and commendable awards over the years.

KULV and LVTV, the student-run radio and television programs, have also been honored with many awards. Dozens of students in the department have received awards in competition with most California universities and colleges.

CIPA has an annual convention in which it gives awards for individual and overall efforts in newspaper, magazine, television and radio. Each year a different school hosts the event, where delegates from many schools in the state gather to receive these awards and compete in on-site event for further awards.

In 1998, UCLA hosted the event and Cal Poly San Luis Obispo handled last year’s conference. This year, the University of La Verne will host the competition at the Claremont Inn.

In all, ULV students have spent the last few months or more working to organize a three-day convention complete with two awards banquets, seminars regarding the journalism field and a complete job fair.

One hundred sixty students are expected to attend the conference. That amount does not even include advisers and professors from the best communications programs across the state.

This year’s CIPA convention is April 14-16. This event will continue to bring the much deserved but rarely given acclaim to the University of La Verne.

One of the on-site events the ULV community has the opportunity to enjoy is the performance of Bress, a Burbank-based rock band that will play at the University Mall. The band will perform around 10 a.m. next Friday as part of the arts and entertainment competition and students are invited.

Many private institutions and huge universities such as the Cal State and UC schools have not been as successful as little ULV in CIPA.

Yet, many still find it so easy to write off ULV as a tiny speck on the map that seems to evade a place in the limelight.

Ironically, however, that light has been shining brightly on our campus for many years with the accomplishments of the Communications Department and the various other ULV departments, programs, organizations and sports teams.

Damien Alarcon, a senior journalism major, is editor in chief of the Campus Times. He can be reached by e-mail at alarcond@ulv.edu.

, , , , , , , , , , , ,