Morrissey an all-time legend

Damien Alarcon, Editor in Chief
Damien Alarcon, Editor in Chief

Forget the New Kids on the Block (sorry Toni Dreier), forget the Dixie Chicks (sorry Jennifer Parsons) and forget other bands and artists who come and go within a few months after one or two hits. It is all about Morrissey.

After last week’s issue of the Campus Times hit the stands, I received much feedback about my column, “Procrastination takes its toll.” In it, I mentioned I missed a Morrissey concert as a result of procrastinating on my senior project deadlines. Many people, who obviously do not know me, were surprised and happy to hear that I am a diehard Morrissey fan.

I was thoroughly impressed by students such as freshman Amy Tabullo, who wrote to me via e-mail and introduced me to her Morrissey web site at www.geocities.com/ilvmoz/.

Even though we are separated by distance, I am determined to meet Morrissey in my lifetime.

Since this is my final column as a member of the Campus Times, and my last week as an undergraduate student at the University of La Verne, I felt that this was my final attempt to inform others that Steven Patrick Morrissey is one of the greatest singers/performers of all time. He ranks just under Elvis in my books. People will have the opportunity to listen to Morrissey and the Smiths, the band he was in prior to the one he is now, this coming Monday. On Monday, KROQ will celebrate his 41st birthday by playing Morrissey and Smiths’ songs throughout the day. “The Furious Five at 9” will more than likely host the most requested Smiths/Morrissey songs of the day.

Many people feel that my taste in music is odd because I like Morrissey, a.k.a Moz, but that is untrue. My lifelong journey as a Morrissey fan began in seventh grade after my older brother Jaime began listening to a couple of albums. At the time, I was into different kinds of music like rap, hip hop, rock, oldies, ’80s music … everything. I liked, and still like, all kinds of music, except country. I enjoy Metallica, Sublime, Bob Marley and Blink 182 like everyone else. Morrissey is just different than everyone else, in a good way.

With his own band and the Smiths, Morrissey has a total of over 20 albums. It is not as if he has one or two good songs that I play over and over again. All of his songs are good, which is why I do not have a favorite song. I cannot even compile a top 10 chart. It is too hard.

Friends have always mocked me for liking the music of Morrissey, but when I went to Damien High School people who never even heard of Morrissey soon followed. By the end of those four years, I had converted many people into bigger fans than I am. For instance, my friend Stevie Reyes dresses and combs his hair like Moz and named his newborn son Steven Patrick Reyes.

Morrissey is not a flavor of the month. He began playing with the Smiths in 1982 and then left the band in 1987 to pursue his own self-titled band. People have had Morrissey and Smiths as their favorite bands for over 10 years. They enjoy songs made 15 years ago as if they were new songs fresh on the radio. Morrissey fans are not even from a certain age group. There are people in their 40s who dig Morrissey and young teenagers who are in the same boat.

People question his sexual preference, but who cares. The music still sounds the same. Men in the Phi Delta Theta Fraternity, the fraternity of choice, reluctantly admit that they like some songs. They asked not to have their name revealed.

The song that people are most familiar with is “The More You Ignore Me, the Closer I Get.” This is a great song, and some like it above any other song. If they only listened to more of Moz and the Smiths, they would be hooked.

Morrissey and the Smiths should be played on a more frequent basis on KULV. The only song KULV, KROQ and Star 98.7, play is “How Soon is Now?” It is a great song, but there is so much more and it does not do Moz justice.

A suitable quote, spoken by Morrissey, comes to mind as a fitting conclusion. “This is the last song I will ever sing, though I may change my mind again. Good night and thank you.”

Damien Alarcon, a senior journalism major, is editor in chief of the Campus Times. He can be reached by e-mail at alarcond@ulv.edu.