Procrastination takes its toll

Damien Alarcon, Editor in Chief
Damien Alarcon, Editor in Chief

Two weeks from today I will present my senior project to professors and instructors of the University of La Verne. My project, two eight-page issues of an alumni newsletter for Phi Delta Theta, will be presented through some sort of medium — either an overhead projector, Power Point, handouts, whatever.

Right now I am not too concerned about how I will present my works. At least not yet, anyway.

There is a reason for this. For example, moments after winning a football game, I did not care about the next week’s opponent. The rest of the day and the following day, I was on cloud nine a pondering the highlights of the victorious game.

I did not worry or even think about the next game until Monday of that week. The same is happening now. On Wednesday, I turned in a notebook which enclosed both issues of the project. Once I turned in the notebook, my adviser Eric Bishop scanned through the notebook and told me that I am eligible to do my presentation.

Basically, the production aspect of my senior project was complete. Much relief came to me and the tension in my neck, which I thought was normal because I was so used to it, disappeared. The late nights, living on the computer on weekends, the countless hours of typing were over. Hell yes!

Much anxiety throughout this semester has resulted from this project, but why is that? I had the entire semester to do the project which is more than enough time to do it. Why was it so stressful if it would only take a portion of the semester to do it?

The fact that I have other classes definitely slowed me down. Some classes this semester were crucial to have, such as the journalism production classes of La Verne Magazine and the Campus Times. I wish that I would have done certain CORE classes earlier and did not have to do them this semester, and I do not know why the University would make them a requirement to graduate (which is another topic I will not cover).

The only thing left that I need to overcome is one last issue of the Campus Times.

The entire ordeal of finishing my senior project, more specifically the high anxiety, could have been avoided. Procrastination, an unmerciful mercenary sent from an unknown realm, is truly an enemy of mine whom I come face-to-face with often. More times than not, I usually succumb to his presence.

For instance, on April 5 was my first deadline for the first issue of the newsletter. The rough drafts for all of the stories were due. I was going crazy thinking that I was not going to hit my deadline, which I thought was 5 p.m. When he saw me frantically typing story after story, Bishop told me that the drafts were due by the end of the day-at 11:59 p.m.

I thought, “What a relief!” I defeated Procrastination, of course with the help of Bishop.

I again started thinking it was smooth sailing from then on. But things got a whole lot worse.

As I was typing away in the Campus Times room at about 6:30 p.m., my pager went off. It was my brother.

I called him back and asked what he needed. He told me he was with a huge group of our friends and they were on their way to a Morrissey concert at the Universal Amphitheater (note: Morrissey is my all-time favorite musician). No big deal, I knew they were planning to go. I was not because I was broke. He asked me if I wanted to go to the concert, but I told him I had no money. He told me that one of our friends had an extra ticket. My jaw dropped. A fifth-row seat. I wanted to die.

Procrastination, the immortal foe, hit me behind the head.

I had to decline and everybody who was with him began to believe that I was not a true fan of Morrissey.

My advice to underclassmen: do not put things off for the future. Laziness has has a price. Procrastination is lurking in the darkness and takes pleasure in seeing others work under pressure. Freshmen, begin thinking or working on your senior projects now. Do not hesitate.

You may be unfortunate and miss out on a Morrissey concert like me.

Damien Alarcon, a senior journalism major, is editor in chief of the Campus Times. He can be reached by e-mail at alarcond@ulv.edu.