Women have the right to choose

Alisha Rosas, Editor in Chief

Alisha Rosas, Editor in Chief

I am not a baby killer. I am a woman who believes in choice. Pro-choice people know that life begins at conception and that fetuses are alive. After all, a fetus represents potential human life. However, only live human beings, already in existence, have human rights, which are guarded by the Constitution. Abortion is legal, because live persons deserve to be protected.

Simply put, women from Mexico do not come to the United States to get pregnant. They come to give birth because that is when a citizen’s rights are born.

For many pro-life people, abortion is justified under certain circumstances. However, abortion is a one-way stance. No one can be “sort of, kind of” a supporter of it. After all, it is ridiculous for one to support one type of abortion and condemn another. For those “Jews for Jesus” pro-lifers who believe that abortion is OK when a woman is raped or when incest is involved, they desperately need a wake-up call. Because a naïve 14-year old, who drinks too much one night deserves the same right as a woman who is raped. Such pro-lifers need to realize that believing in abortion, in any form, is to be pro-choice and nothing less.

Look at what being pro-choice means. To be pro-choice does not mean that one is required to have an abortion in an effort to support a cause. Instead it means, that despite whatever choice one makes in regard to having an abortion, does not rank superior to other women’s decisions. I believe in choice. Whether I will have an abortion in my lifetime fates itself merely on situation. I would like to say that I would not have one. But that moral prediction has no right or rule over any other woman in this country or world. My choice has nothing to do with them. Their choices inflict nothing upon myself. The idea behind being pro-choice is the glory behind making a decision.

Every woman who voted for George W. Bush deserves a big “thank you” for setting the Women’s Movement, feminism and progress nearly 30 years backward. Days after stepping into office, the man America voted in revoked American support for family planning overseas. He also is against funding stem-cell research, since they are taken from aborted fetuses, which would be disposed of anyway. The uses of the cells have proven themselves valuable in the treatment of various diseases, such as Parkinson’s and diabetes.

What I do fail to understand is how Bush himself is not enjoying his right to makes such choices. Depriving countries of education and stopping medical research is the type of control he has. That power is minimal in comparison to the power to choose what to do with my body. Just because this man is sitting in the Oval Office, how can he change that?

Half of the 6 million pregnancies that occur in the United States each year are unintended. Such numbers result in a rate of 23 abortions per 1,000 women. According to the Alan Guttmacher Institute, more than half of those abortions were also done within the first eight weeks of pregnancy, which is also the time before the capacity to feel pain develops.

As for “partial-birth” abortions, which are medically known as “late-term abortions,” only four one-hundredths of 1 percent of abortions occur during the third trimester. And these women are not aborting healthy Gerber babies minutes before they are born, in fact, most late-term abortions deal with wanted pregnancies that go wrong when either the woman’s life is in danger or the fetus develops deformities incompatible with life.

Babies are also having babies. Each year, almost 1 million teenage women get pregnant and 78 percent of them are unplanned. According to the Institute, nearly four in 10 teen pregnancies are aborted. The girls’ main reasons for having an abortion was about how the baby would change their lives as well as feeling not mature enough to care for a child. Those reasons seem valid enough.

Problems would result without legal abortion in regard to the back-alley abortions that will return, the murdered babies and the children who will be abused because they were not wanted in the first place.

Alisha Rosas, a junior journalism major, is editor in chief of the Campus Times. She can be reached by e-mail at rosasa@ulv.edu.

, , ,