Department selects 2001 leaders

Christine Owen (top) and Melinda Sanchez have been selected as the editors of ULV publications. Owen, who will serve as the editor of the Campus Times, has been on the staff for two semesters, and was previously the managing editor. For Sanchez, next semester as the editor in chief of La Verne Magazine will be her second semester on the staff. / photo by Tom Galaraga

by Amanda Stutevoss
Staff Writer

With the Communications Department inaugural semester in the newly-renovated Lemon House in the fall, the Campus Times, La Verne Magazine and KULV have selected three outstanding individuals to lead them.

Junior Christine Owen will guide the Campus Times staff as editor in chief, Melinda Sanchez was selected as editor in chief for the La Verne Magazine, and junior Risa Martinez will take charge as the program director for 107.9 KULV.

Owen is a journalism major who has spent two semesters on the Campus Times. This semester, she served on the editorial board as managing editor. She also spent a semester on the staff of Space, the campus newspaper at Cheltenham and Gloucester College of Higher Education.

“If we get a staff with enthusiastic writers, there is no reason why next year won’t be great,” said Owen.

“I think that Christine brings a sensibility and intelligence to the program. She is respected by her peers, which is necessary to the position,” said Campus Times adviser Eric Bishop.

“Christine is one of those amazing people who is able to lighten up even the most stressful of situations, yet at the same time get the job done and do it right,” said Campus Times colleague Tom Galaraga, who was named as Campus Times photography editor for the fall.

Sanchez is a journalism major who has spent two semesters on the Campus Times, one as editor of the arts and entertainment section, and spent this semester as a writer on La Verne Magazine. She also received an award at the 2001 California Intercollegiate Press Association’s competition this year for illustration.

“Melinda is an excellent writer and a super person. I see a lot of leadership in her. She has spirit and that is good for the magazine,” said the La Verne Magazine adviser George Keeler.

Sanchez is excited about the changes that are occurring this fall for the Communications Department.

“I don’t think that the move will effect the La Verne Magazine at all. I think that this move is opening up a lot of doors for the department,” said Sanchez.

Lauren Wooding was named as photography editor of La Verne Magazine.

Martinez is a junior radio broadcasting major. She has held the positions of music director and production director for KULV so she is no stranger to the program.

“We look for somebody who has had the radio/television audio controls class, beginning and intermediate radio, and someone who has been on staff before,” said Mike Laponis, associate professor of communications and KULV adviser.

This will be Martinez’s sixth semester on the air for KULV. She has also interned for X103.9 FM radio.

Martinez is excited about all of the changes that are happening for the Communications Department next year. “Hopefully we can implement more programs,” said Martinez.

Martinez will be the first program director for KULV in the Lemon House.

“It worries me a little because we won’t be as close to the students anymore, but it will be good for the department,” said Martinez.

“She is phenomenal in all aspects of the radio industry,” said fellow radio student Dan Le.

“Christine, Risa and Melinda are all excellent students who have earned the respect of their respective staffs,” said Bishop. “They will all serve the department professionally I trust that the mediums are in good hands, and will continue to strive as they done so before.”