Moving forward seems bittersweet

Alisha Rosas, Editor in Chief

Alisha Rosas, Editor in Chief

“All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own.”
–Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I never liked feeling insignificant. When I first came to the University of La Verne, along with 440 fellow freshmen in 1998, I was irrelevant. My only goal was to find a way to stick out.

I wanted to write for this newspaper from the very beginning. I had a plan. I was to be a journalist, no details required.

I must admit, I never thought that the time would be as quick as it has, nor did I ever imagine that the day in which I would write my final piece for the Campus Times would come. Yet, it has and soon, I will be done.

For the last five semesters I have written for the Campus Times, I have tried more than anything, to write from my heart and present myself to my readers. With every semester, I have revealed moments, thoughts and inspirations in my life that have brought me great joy and sorrows as well as self-growth.

I have shared my opinions on life, children, death, ache and love. I have also opened up my family to this University in hope that the stories are something that people are able to relate to in their own lives. I have written on issues that are dear to me, such as Latino issues as well as problems within families and schooling in America, and I am thankful for the opportunities I have had to express, stir and share such concerns.

I have mixed feelings about no longer writing for the newspaper. Figuring out what to do with all the free time I will have on my hands will be interesting, since I am known to be a bit anti-social. I also wonder what it will feel like to pick up next semester’s issue and know that my byline will no longer be there. However, even I have to admit that it is time to move forward.

It is funny how the insecure work-study student in the Communications Department, managed to climb the ladder into the editor in chief position.

Looking back, the only advice I can give future staff members and editors is to write with your hearts.

After all, anyone can memorize Stylebook rules along with syntax and grammar, but it is the individual who eats, sleeps and bleeds to write, who will go far. It is the writer who wakes up in the middle of the night with thoughts for future pieces, who is meant to do this.

I believe that for the loyal souls, writing for this newspaper should be a way of life. But, it will go beyond schoolwork. It will be fun. The newsroom will become your second home, and you will love every minute of it.

· To my staff, I hope that this year was as fulfilling for all of you as it was for me. Pat yourselves on the back and register for the class again for the fall.

·  To Christine Owen, next semester’s editor in chief, I wish you a beautiful, new newsroom and a talented staff. I also wish you many late nights, laughs and a continuing award-winning publication.

· To my loyal fan Shadrack, after you read this week’s column, I hope you reveal yourself in your next email-to-the-editor. It is really the least you can do.

What really more is there to say? I think that it will not be until everything is said and done that I will begin to realize how much I will miss this place.

I will miss Eric Bishop; especially his ability to know how I am feeling before I even say, “Good morning,” to him. I will never forget him because he was the first teacher I have had who has taught me lessons that go beyond a classroom. He has provided the gift of friendship to me as well. I am thankful for the time he has always set aside and given to me, as well as the confidence he has in me.

I will miss the sound of fingers tapping anxiously against keyboards. The sound of phones ringing and the endless chatter among friends. I will miss the pulsing beat of my heart in my throat, when there are 100 things to do and one day to finish them. I will miss people asking me for help on things they think I know about — “Alisha, will you read this, and tell me what you think?” I suppose such scenarios will never cease to exist in my future. It is just my time to seek them in a different newsroom. P.S. Enjoy the magazine.

Alisha Rosas, a junior journalism major, is editor in chief of the Campus Times. She can be reached by e-mail at rosasa@ulv.edu.

, , , , ,