With time, experience dissolves insecurities

Angelique B. D'Silva, Arts Editor

Angelique B. D’Silva, Arts Editor

Who would have imagined that after a year and a half of Campus Times, I would be sad to leave the newspaper. This is my last semester on the newspaper, and now as I look back, I am glad that I had the opportunity to experience this endeavor. Like many of my fellow classmates know, when I started in the spring of 2000, I hated it.

I can remember my advising appointment and my adviser Eric Bishop telling me that as a journalism major, I would obviously have to write on the school’s newspaper. After trying to find loopholes out of it, I registered for Newspaper Production I.

I can still remember coming in and hating being confined in the small news room. How ironic, looking back at it now, I feel like I live here.

I used to hate to come in and read on Thursdays. I would come in and read my required three stories and get out. I did only what was asked of me.

My problem with the newspaper was the fact that I felt that I did not believe my writing was adequate enough to be published. I can remember reading the newspaper and feeling mediocre compared to the other students who were being published.

I used to admire the staff writers who could write their stories in such a short amount of time. I used to hate how when I would write my stories, they would take me forever.

The only reason I majored in journalism was so that I could be in competition with the potential law students applying to prestigious law schools. I never took journalism seriously because I perceived it to be a struggling career that did not promise anything.

I now know this is not true. In fact, hanging out in the Campus Times’ news room, I began to feel comfortable with the people there, which helped me feel more comfortable with my writing ability. I started to see that the people in the news room were not in competition, but were there to help.

As a journalism major, newspaper production is mandatory for two semesters. At the end of my first semester, I started to admit to myself that the newspaper was not that bad. The next advising meeting I had with EB, there was no hassle in regard to me registering for the newspaper.

I enjoyed being on the newspaper so much, that I ended up applying for an editorial position for the next semester. I would have never thought in a million years, I would want to be a part of creating a newspaper that students read. I also met two friends on staff who have made my junior year a blast.

I realized stories assigned to me were no longer difficult or “impossible” for me to write. I actually did not mind interviewing people for my stories anymore. I also acquired the ability to write my stories within a short amount of time. I really grew to enjoy being in the Campus Times’ news room.

As the year is coming to an end, I am sad that I wasted time and never really gave it a chance. Now at the end, when I am truly enjoying it, my time is done. I am happy with my time at the newspaper because in the end I learned a lot about myself and what the career has to offer.

I learned that the staff and editors in the Campus Times are one big family. I am happy that although I will no longer be on staff, I can still hang out in the Campus Times room. I have also created memories within the department that will last a lifetime.

Angelique B. D’Silva, a junior communications major, is arts and entertainment editor of the Campus Times. She can be reached by e-mail at angeliquebd@aol.com.

, , , ,