New editors are selected for spring

Ryan Mac Donald, senior journalism major, the new editor in chief for the Campus Times newspaper and Terry Birdsall, a CAPA student, the new editor in chief for La Verne Magazine bring experience, new ideas and ambitions to the University of La Verne student produced publications for the upcoming 2002 spring semester. / photo by Jason Cooper

by Crystal Apilado
Features Editor

When the spring 2002 semester starts at the University of La Verne, new leaders will step up to the plate in the Communications Department.

Ryan Mac Donald, senior journalism major, will take over as the editor in chief for the Campus Times newspaper.

“I think he will be excellent,” said Elizabeth Zwerling, assistant professor of journalism and Campus Times adviser. “He’s laid back, yet organized, and clear in his communication and his work.”

“I have motivation to publish the best student journalism for myself and students,” said Mac Donald.

Zwerling said Mac Donald possesses a good combination of talent as a writer and an editor, and good communication skills which she’s observed from his interaction with other reporters and editors.

“He’s a team player,” said Zwerling. “He is a good team leader.”

Mac Donald said that he would like to bring more investigative stories within the University to Campus Times. He hopes to bring more lengthy reports and will encourage students to do more in-depth research on their stories.

“I hope everyone improves because when everyone improves, everyone is motivated to do better and they write better stories,” said Mac Donald.

Mac Donald says that the title of editor in chief is not intimidating and that he is looking forward to working with next year’s staff. He sees the staff members as equals and hopes to work with those who have both more and less experience than him to produce a good publication.

“The title is flattering,” said Mac Donald. “What I lack in experience, I make up for in drive.”

Mac Donald says he is motivated to uphold the Campus Times‘ tradition of excellence and to maintain the respect the award-winning paper has had for years.

This semester is Mac Donald’s third semester on Campus Times. He has also been published in La Vernacula and interned for TravelAge West magazine.

The editor in chief of La Verne Magazine for the spring 2002 semester is Terry Birdsall, a CAPA student.

Birdsall said she feels that she can bring professionalism, organization and a more polished look to the magazine.

“I think that I can make a difference in the magazine,” she said.

“She’s a CAPA student with vivid life experiences that bring a level of maturity in her writing for the magazine,” said George Keeler, professor of journalism and La Verne Magazine adviser.

Birdsall said that she would like to produce a new and different magazine that is completed on time at the end of the semester. She would like to work with the students, photography staff and advisers to reach that goal she said.

“I would like to produce a well-written magazine that is interesting to students to read, as well as the community,” said Birdsall.

Birdsall said that she would like to help students get a feel for what it is like in the real world and to see that this experience is a stepping stone to their future.

“She’ll motivate the staff with her infectious enthusiasm,” said Keeler.

From working with her on the previous La Verne Magazine staff, Keeler said he feels that Birdsall is a great writer with strong organizational skills. Keeler said that she researches a story from end to end and that she isn’t afraid to take on the tough stories and tough topics.

Besides writing for the La Verne Magazine, Birdsall has also written for the Citrus Community College magazine, Logos, and newspaper, Clarion. She received a third place award for her work in Logos through the Journalism Association for Community Colleges. Birdsall has a marketing background that she feels she utilized her writing skills.

Birdsall is not intimidated by the position and is enthusiastic and excited to get to work.

“I look at it as a great opportunity to share my ideas and to share what I can do,” said Birdsall. “I can’t wait to get started.”

At KULV Risa Martinez, senior broadcasting major, will continue as the program director, which is a year long position, for KULV.

“She’s done a good job,” said Mike Laponis, professor of communications and KULV adviser. “She was at the helm during the move (to the new Arts and Communications Building this fall).”

“It was hard in the beginning,” said Martinez. “We had to start from scratch.”

According to Laponis, Martinez’s main focus this past semester has been to get the radio station up and running in the new building.

“She has a great deal of knowledge of all the other positions,” said Laponis. “She is familiar with the positions and can help other students.”

“I think that I end up critiquing,” said Martinez.

Martinez would like to bring more programs and activity promotions to KULV for the spring semester.

Other Stories

Journalism operations manager at the University of La Verne. Production manager and business manager of the Campus Times.