by Amanda Stutevoss
Editor in Chief
The La Verne Fire Department has set up a victim relief fund to cover funeral expenses following a fire last week, which killed three La Verne residents, two of whom were children.
The LVFD received a call at 7:31 p.m., on Oct. 10 from neighbors. Firefighters from Station Two on Wheeler Avenue were the first to arrive on the scene, said LVFD’s spokeswoman Rafaela Giles.
Upon entry to the house, firefighters found Maria Hinojosa, 81, Robert Langilotti, 3, and John Langilotti, 1. All were unconscious and not breathing.
Hinojosa, grandmother of the two boys, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Both Langilotti boys were taken to a nearby hospital, where they were later pronounced dead.
The parents of the Langilotti boys, who left them with Hinojosa that evening, arrived on the scene when the fire team arrived. The boys’ father attempted to enter the home, but thick smoke made entry impossible.
Fire investigators determined the fire, which began in the family room of the house, was caused by an electrical problem.
The house, which is located at 5620 Mansion Court, is a two-story, 2,500 square foot home. There was more than $80,000 of estimated damage to the house due to the fire.
LVFD called in a post traumatic stress counseling team Thursday night for the distraught firefighters who were at the scene.
“Any time there are children involved in an incident, it is very devastating,” Giles said.
The department is accepting donations at the Vineyard Bank at 2100 Foothill Blvd. One can also drop off a check at headquarters station located at 2061 Third St. Checks should be made payable to the Langilotti Family Memorial Fund.