Graduation anxiety mounts

Amanda Egan, News Editor

Amanda Egan, News Editor

After I attended the Graduation Fair last weekend all of the anxiety that already existed within me about graduating raised to a much higher level.

The topics of the day were announcements, class rings, pictures and caps and gowns. That is enough to stir up some emotion.

It doesn’t seem like I have attended this University for four years. I have so many mixed feelings about my undergraduate years coming to an end.

The thought of not having the security of school to fall back on makes me nervous.

Especially when I am so unsure of a career. I have some idea of what I want to do after I graduate, but I am unsure about my choices. I realize that I do have some options.

I have considered attending graduate school, getting a normal job or as a last resort, a career!

A career, which would consist of eight -hour days and working inside, is something I may not be ready for.

The past four years of college went by so fast that I never really had a chance to ask, what happens next? I was so focused on playing soccer, doing well in class and socializing that it has been a blur. I have been so focused in the moment that I got a little wrapped up in it.

So, like most students unsure of what the future holds I filled out graduate school applications. This was no easy task.

Graduate schools require an abundance of materials along with the $60 charge just for applying.

Most universities require a complete six page application, two sets of official transcripts, priced at $6 each, Graduate Record Exam scores, the test has a $115 fee, a 1,000-word letter of purpose, a resume and three detailed recommendations from faculty and staff.

As if that was not enough stress on the application you have to decide what you want to study.

I narrowed it down to three areas, but the application has one line, for one choice.

So, on top of 17 units, an internship and all of the other miscellaneous things I have going on during my senior year, I have to decide what I want to get my masters in.

I wrote something down on the paper that may affect my entire life and could possibly place me in a career that I may love or absolutely hate.

And then I start to question if I chose the right major for my bachelors. Do I want to be a journalist for the rest of my life? Will I earn the type of salary I want in this field?

The answer to that question, which is also undecided, depends on what I will get my masters in.

That is if I decide to go to grad school. Everything is in question. But, I must make a decision.

May is quickly approaching and the thought of having no direction at that point makes me panic.

My next step is to patiently await my grad school letters and pray that an amazing job opportunity gets thrown my way. That will narrow down my choices and hopefully relieve some anxiety.

This is the point in my four years at this University that I should concentrate on the moment and not worry about what my future holds, because like all things in my life, they eventually work out.

Amanda Egan, a senior journalism major, is news editor of the Campus Times. She can be reached by e-mail at aegan@ulv.edu.

, , ,