Too much sleep ends in too little time

Chrissy Zehrbach, Sports Editor

Chrissy Zehrbach, Sports Editor

I have this theory about sleeping: if the recommended amount of sleep is eight hours a night and there are only 24 hours in a day, one will end up sleeping for one third of the day — eventually one third of their life — should they follow this recommendation.

Therefore, to make the most of life, we must stay up and sleep less.

Why sleep for one third of your life? That’s an awful long time. If you live to be 90, you will have slept for 30 years, again, given that you abide by this recommendation. Seems crazy, I know.

Now try factoring in the time you may spend napping, that is if you can find the time. You could be sleeping even longer without realizing it. What effect does this have on us?

Just a couple months ago as I watched the news, the newscasters discussed a study that had been performed on sleeping habits and their benefits.

The research revealed that seven hours is the new recommendation; that people who got seven hours of sleep a night were more likely to be healthier and less tired during the day.

The scary twist was that the research also revealed that if someone gets more than seven hours of sleep a night, they have a higher tendency to die at an earlier age.

I know, you can’t believe everything you see, or hear as the case may be, on television, but I tend to trust the news, even if it was some random survey facts.

So what this revelation did was change my opinion from we should sleep less, to I need to sleep less or I’m going to die.

For a while I think I was actually in a state of paranoia, thinking I needed to change my habits to avoid the inevitably unavoidable.

I am one of those people who on a daily basis struggle to pry myself out of bed. I’m a fan of the snooze button, and to think, this might kill me? Well, It’s not something we should have to consider.

The final piece of information discovered in the research was that, oddly, while more than seven hours of sleep may harm a person, people who slept less than seven hours a night were fine.

Unlike the previous information, this intrigued me, because it supported my theory.

But when you think about it, getting less sleep cannot be healthy either.

Although there are those few nights where those three-hour power naps leave you refreshed in the morning, for the most part very little sleep only makes me more tired (but so does too much sleep, so I don’t get it, there doesn’t seem to be a happy medium anywhere).

Eventually the missed sleep will all add up, and a good night’s sleep is needed — most likely more than seven hours.

So I have come to the decision that I cannot abide by this theory. Why? Because it’s almost impossible, and because I love sleep way too much. I would sleep forever if I had the opportunity. I can’t get enough.

And with the stress and busyness of college life, we college students need as much sleep as we can get. But then again, with the stress and busyness of college life, it is hard to get good, quality sleep, so sometimes you literally can’t get enough. It seems I’m always tired.

So now, after all my rambling, I’m sure you all think I am crazy. Let me just assure you that I am simply sleep deprived – trying to get the most out of life.

Chrissy Zehrbach, a junior journalism major, is sports editor for the Campus Times. She can be reached by e-mail at sqweet@aol.com.

, , ,