Can’t live with ‘em, or without

Chrissy Zehrbach, Editor in Chief

Chrissy Zehrbach, Editor in Chief

“Don’t leave home without it.” This is American Express’ motto. But these days it more aptly describes the cell phone.

I have a love hate relationship with my cell phone. Lately it seems like my best friend. It has been glued to my ear so much in the last couple weeks that I find myself charging the battery multiple times a day.

I have to wonder how this dependency began. But I take comfort knowing it’s not just me. It seems the whole world is constantly on the phone – in the car, at restaurants, in movie theaters and even in class – and it drives me crazy. But I guess I have no room to complain because I am often one of those people walking aimlessly down the street, or the aisle of a store, chatting away on my phone.

And, yes, I am against people driving while talking on their cell phones; it’s dangerous because nobody pays attention. But I only know that because I do it and it happens to me.

I didn’t get my own cell phone until my freshman year of college. I think my dependency grew at a slower rate than most.

I was one of the rare few who would actually leave their cell phone in their room while going to class. I never had it on me, which rather defeats the purpose of mobile communication.

But my prior cell phone had only been a privilege in high school once I got my driver’s license, and was to be used only in case of emergencies. I don’t think I ever had it on. Besides, this enormous cell phone was like as big as my hand, ultra heavy and didn’t have any games or Internet features. Nor did it have cool ring tones. Today, this would be a travesty.

My mom finally joined the modern world shortly after I did, upgrading her mobile phonebooth for a more common model. And since that moment, she just can’t seem to part with it – which illustrates my point. Every time she “almost forgets it” or, heaven forbid, actually does, it’s as if the world is coming to an end.

Without fail, every time she comments on it I have to ask her how she survived without it before. You know, it may be hard to believe, but there were days when cell phones didn’t exist and people still survived. I mean sure, they’re a great convenience and they come in handy during an emergency, but we used to know how to survive without them.

It occurred to me the other day as I left my night class just how attached nearly about everyone is to their cell phone – as more than half the class whipped them out and started dialing even before we had exited the building.

Looking around campus, or anywhere for that matter, you realize how many people have cell phones. It’s just about everyone and their mother (well, my mom anyway).

It makes me wonder how we ever did get along without this technology. Even when I’m telling my mom to relax and forget about the cell phone, I’m being hypocritical because mine is almost always with me.

I’m just waiting for technology to advance to the point where they actually install a cell phone chip into each person’s brain for easy access and a fool proof method of never being without it.

I foresee the day after that when adaptation will take over and our bodies will realize this is a necessity and we will simply start being born with that chip in our brains. As it is, cell phones are getting smaller and smaller with up to date technology and capabilities. We are almost there.

I have to wonder how people without cell phones survive, but at the same time I applaud them for their independence.

Chrissy Zehrbach, a senior broadcasting major, is editor in chief of the Campus Times. She can be reached by e-mail at sqweet@aol.com.

, , ,