Saying goodbye to a second home

Gloria Diaz, Photography Editor

Gloria Diaz, Photography Editor

I come in at 10 a.m. every morning thinking of the million and one things I have to do. I am greeted with the smiles and hellos of my peers who also inhabit the place I call my home.

Rushing in to check my box before going to class, I find that I have five messages from yesterday, but after looking at the clock, I hurry off to my first class.

During class I plan out my day. After my Photoshop class I come back and sit on the couch. Since it’s the end of the year, the hustle and bustle of students rushing to get their projects done gives me the idea to grant myself some good procrastination time.

So, I take some time out of my day to sit on the Comfy Country Kitchen Couch. Along with some of my ACB buddies, this is where we sit and ponder the answers to life’s biggest questions. Questions like: “What’s for lunch? What happened in class today?” And the biggest question of all, “Did you hear what happened at the party on Friday?”

With a week left of school, I find myself sitting on the couch and thinking about how this is going to be one of the last times on the couch with my friends. So, I have started to think about all the times spent making fun of each other while ignoring the work that needed to get done.

After the Campus Times Online launch party last month, a group of eight seniors were sitting on the couch figuring out our life’s plan. We came up with a hypothetical scenario that would guarantee all of us a job. We shared some laughs in the process, but before long we had to return to the real world where projects and deadlines rule our lives.

It wasn’t until afterwards that I thought about how that hour and half of fun was going to be one of the last times that we would all be together like that.

On any given day I could be found somewhere in the building, wandering around and striking up a conversation with someone I have become friends with, without ever having them in a class.

In the ACB you become family regardless of your major because you share one thing in common – saving your sanity through mindless human interaction.

If you’ve never spent more than 40 hours a week working on anything related to the Communications Department (in or outside the building), then I don’t know if you can fully grasp the idea of family we have within the ACB. I can tell you that it has made the computer crashes, the four-hour block of studio time, the 20 page issues and the all-day editing sessions a whole lot easier.

So what makes this department so special? It’s things like blasting KULV from the prep room to hear the Bob Marley song that’s playing. It’s the only place where Mike refers to me as G-Unit (yeah, that’s what he calls me).

The building that is “the place to be” has become the place I don’t want to leave. It’s hard to think that I will become nothing more than a picture on Shane’s wall after I graduate. No one will know anything about me, or anything I have done. I will just be a photograph buried in a sea of past department greats (right under the Mariah Carey poster).

It’s dark outside now, which means it must be time for me to go home. Rather, it’s time for me to leave my home. Now I can only remember the family that helped me out in more ways than they will ever know.

Gloria Diaz, a senior journalism major, is photography editor for the Campus Times. She can be reached by e-mail at gdiaz1@ulv.edu.

, , , , , ,