Our time together is ending

Tracy Spicer, LV Life Editor

Tracy Spicer, LV Life Editor

Remember when Ferris Bueller hops into bed, crosses his arms behind his head and says one of the most memorable quotes in ‘80s cinema? “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” Oh so true, Ferris, oh so true.

It’s not every day that you have the opportunity to live in a foreign country. With my good friend Jeannie, I took that chance when I hopped a plane for Greece to study abroad for three months. I’m known for making some bad impulsive decisions, but my study abroad experience was hands-down the best thing I’ve ever done. I truly grew into my own during my time in Athens and immersed myself in the vibrant Greek culture, which taught me that life shouldn’t just be about working to obtain better, but rather celebrating what you have. I’m not saying that I necessarily became the wisest person on the planet – I did spend all my stipend money on Starbucks and shopping sprees – but I made it home in once piece with dozens of memories.

It’s not every day that you have to declare your major. After debating among anthropology, Spanish and English, I decided on a whim to go with journalism. After timidly walking into the Campus Times room as a brand new staff writer, I was handed my first assignment by a then-intimidating editorial staff, which included Nila and Val. Yes, I admit it: I was intimidated by that dynamic journalism duo. Needless to say, that quickly wore off and I soon refreshingly discovered two nerds just like me – and that’s how the “CT Trio of Trust” was born. Who else could I watch old “California Dreams” and “Saved By the Bell” episodes with, all while eating a box of tortilla chips or beef steak and buying “All Nite Long” pills out of the $1 bin at Circle K. As Zack Attack sang in that classic “Rockumentary” episode, it’s all about friends forever.

It’s not every day that you find a partner in crime. In the crazy senior project abyss that consumed my life for the past three or so months, my project partner Bryan was right by my frantic little side. Yes, we were known to argue over a font or two for our publications, but our Shakira/Beck/Depeche Mode sing-a-longs and “Sweet Sixteen” marathons eliminated any chance of a brawl. If it weren’t for Bryan, I probably would have thrown the computer monitor across the room once or twice in sheer frustration.

It’s not every day that someone you love and admire becomes ill. Four years ago, my grandma stood proudly with my family at my high school graduation. Four months ago, she was giving me pointers on the best slots and casinos before my first trip to Vegas. Today, her lung cancer has progressed to the point where she is bedridden, frail and cannot communicate. Our long chats about life, school and my crazy antics with my best friends have been replaced by a simple hand squeeze to signal that we are still there for each other. I cannot express the pain I feel within the pit of my stomach knowing that my fiercely independent grandma will soon be gone.

Now I’m well aware that “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” is no “Citizen Kane,” but Matthew Broderick’s words do have a point –my time at ULV has been a whirlwind of traveling, taking classes, meeting new friends and saying goodbye. Good or bad, I guess that’s what life – not just four years – is all about.

Tracy Spicer, a senior journalism major, is LV Life editor of the Campus Times. She can be reached by e-mail at tspicer@ulv.edu.

, , , , , ,