Put the heart back in music

Rhiannon Mim, Photography Editor

Rhiannon Mim, Photography Editor

Make me listen to current hit songs on the radio and chances are it’ll be the first time I’ve ever heard it.

A couple weeks ago I was talking to a friend from class about music. She mentioned a popular band and I simply responded with, “I turned the radio off years ago.”

By the end of my middle school years, my radio was only used for the purpose of an alarm clock. I lost interest in hearing the same arrangement of songs drowning out of my speakers repeatedly. Half the time I switched on the radio, there wasn’t even any music playing.

Instead of these so called music-broadcasts, it’s just a bombardment of commercials and annoying disc jockeys who spend more time talking then actually playing music.

After my days listening to radio ended, I immersed myself in the underground rock music scene. I took pride in listening to bands that most people had never heard of, let alone ever listened to.

In high school I was the girl wearing the black band shirts and hoodies, who was never seen without the comfort of her CD player. (Now I have the comfort of my 30GB iPod).

As cliché as it sounds, even though it’s utterly true, music is my life. In my spare time over the past seven years I went to at least a few shows a week to support my friends in bands.

Even now I’m the person my friends all call to take photographs for their bands. One day I plan on making a career as a photographer in the music industry.

Being involved in the underground scene gives me a chance to connect to music on another level. I was able to undergo the entire music experience

first hand by going to shows, meeting many musicians and by talking to these people who have developed such a closer relationship with their instruments.

Through them the purpose and drive behind the music they create is revealed. It seems some radio-bound bands have lost touch with the music they create.

The popular band Panic At The Disco was not even formed as a group to compose music with substance.

Instead, these “musicians” were formed by a record label to produce music with the intention of simply making money.

It’s mindless bands like these that continue to plague the airwaves. Once upon a time in the days even before Elvis Presley, the radio would feature up and coming artists.

The radio was a place where bands could finally get their big break. Now the only stations with a variety of almost constant flowing music are the oldies stations which offer a nice flashback to the past, to a time where music was created not for the sole purpose of making money.

Not to say that all bands on the radio are lacking in purpose since there were bands I started listening to seven years ago and now are as popular as ever. I just feel that some artists need to reevaluate themselves as both as individuals and as musicians.

Musical artists are the ones constantly being depicted all over the media and as such prominent figures, they should make the best during their time in the spotlight.

So with all of the Britney Spearses, Panic At The Discos and mindless radio stations out there, it’s time to make music as it once was: an instrument of emotion and truth.

Rhiannon Mim, a junior journalism major, is photography editor of the Campus Times. She can be reached by e-mail at rmim@ulv.edu.

, , ,