‘TNT’ show delivers dynamite fun

The first ever Talent No Talent Show was held April 30 in Founders Auditorium. The main act of the night was the band One Year Yesterday from Azusa. The group featured Daniel Sinner, Nate Lotz, Tyler Johnson and Matt Sinner playing tracks from their new release, “Be There For You.” Senior communications major Danielle Lampkin put on the event as a part of her senior project. / photo by Rhiannon Mim

Francine Gobert
News Editor

Founders Auditorium was filled with local poets, comedians, singers, musicians and dancers as a part of the Talent No Talent Show on April 30.

The evening, credited to senior communications major Danielle Lampkin as part of her senior project, was filled with talented performers from ULV and the surrounding community.

Lampkin opened the show with her own spoken word poem entitled “Beats,” setting the stage for the other performers of the night.

The event was complete with a disc jockey and hosted by BessKepp, an alumnus of the University who hosts his own spoken word venue every Thursday called “A Mic and Dim Lights” located in the Pomona Arts Colony.

“I promised people a phenomenal show and that’s exactly what they got,” Lampkin said.

The event was an open forum that allowed people to sign-up as they arrived to give them a chance to participate. The performers were called up onstage in the order in which they signed up.

The ULV dance team was the first to kick the night off with a choreographed dance to the Pussycat Dolls song, “Wait a Minute.”

The women helped to bring energy to the crowd that lasted throughout the night.

“We were invited to come out and perform,” Tiffanie Sigal, senior speech communications major, said. “We felt good because we had a large audience.”

The show offered a variety of talents, from singing and dancing to stepping and poetry.

The women from Delta Sigma Theta sorority came out to show their support, and to have the opportunity to be recognized on campus.

The group included Marlindy Braton, senior liberal studies major, junior Chantel Hunley and Akeemi Croom, a senior business major who performed alongside their sorority sisters from their chapter.

“I thought it was a really good turnout; Danielle received a lot of love,” Braton said. “Our sorority is not as well known on campus but the audience really liked our performance.”

Other ULV student performers included Caitlin McCarthy, who delivered a traditional Irish dance that pleased the crowd; sophomore Matt Izaguirre, who read two of his own poems; and senior Monique Chambers, who performed a powerful message through her spoken word poetry.

“It went really well; there was a lot of diversity and a lot of people came out to support the show,” said Adrienne Lampkin, mother of the event coordinator.

Closing the show was the special guest performers, the band One Year Yesterday, whose performance was a definite show-stopper.

The band was compared to Maroon 5 by audience members, who thought their music and lead singer Tyler Johnson’s vocals reminded them a bit of the band.

“They were really good. I liked their beats and rhythm,” Aracelia Sanchez, freshman international studies major said.

They opened their set with their song “Tease for Intention” from their album “Be There for You.” They also performed several other songs, including their own rendition of Van Morrison’s “Crazy Love.”

Throughout the night raffle prizes were raffled off to those who attended.

The event was a definite success, drawing people from the ULV and surrounding communities, alumni and students together for a great show.

“I wanted to show my support to my friend and I also thought this was a good event for ULV because it doesn’t happen too often,” ULV alumnus Bjorn Biggles said.

Biggles also enjoys spoken word poetry and thought the event offered ULV the opportunity to witness talented performers at the show.

“I was invited to the event by BessKepp,” Rick Molina, a teacher from Park West High School, said. “It was a good way to bring the community together. They should hold events like this more.”

Francine Gobert can be reached at fgobert@ulv.edu.