Closing a chapter

Susan Acker, Editor in Chief
Susan Acker, Editor in Chief

Six years ago I was nervous about starting my freshman year in college at Cal Poly Pomona to become a teacher.

Five years ago I was leaving Cal Poly Pomona to attend Pasadena City College with the hopes of becoming a nurse.

Three years ago after coming to the conclusion that I really cannot stand the sight of blood, I was preparing to attend the University of La Verne.

I never could have imagined that I would be graduating next week with a degree in journalism.

During the past six years, three of which I have spent at ULV, I have met a lot of people who mean a lot to me and I know that I would not be here if it were not for them and many people who have given me their love and support throughout my life.

Though this is a very exciting time and I am looking forward to graduation, I am sad that this chapter in my life is coming to a close. I am going to miss ULV and I am going to miss all of my friends.

Following the footsteps of those before me, I want to use this last column as a thank you letter to all of those who have lent an ear, provided a shoulder and said a prayer for me.

Without you all I would never have made it this far.

I also want to dedicate this column to four of the most important women in my life who taught me so much, Mrs. Sowers, Grandma Acker, Grandma Edgeworth and Aunt Rita. I miss you all.

Mom, Dad and Grandpa, thank you for all of your unconditional love and all of your support.

Margo, thank you for being a great little sister and congratulations on your graduation next week. See you in Connecticut.

Thank you Uncle David, Aunt Jeanne, Aunt Debbie, Uncle Stephen, Uncle Jerry, Aunt Rebecka, Katie, Beth, Joe, Bill, Amelia, Thea, Stevie, Eddie and Charles and to the rest of my family. God has blessed me with a good one.

Thank you to all of my friends.

The Abregos, you will always have a special place in my heart.

To Lisa and the girls, JR, Lori and the kids and to Mary Ann, I love you all.

Daja, California is not the same without you. Thank you for forcing me to get out and have fun.

To the Petersons, the Hoffmans, Bob B. and the Turners— thank you for your love and encouragement throughout the years.

Thank you to Davidson Lloyd and the Screen Actor’s Guild Foundation.

Now to the staff of the Campus Times, thank you for our hard work. Thank you especially to all of the editors.

You should be proud of the work and all of the late hours you put in to produce such a great paper every week.

And thanks for never missing a beat and for filling in for me when I could not be here.

You have all been so wonderful and I am going to miss you.

Natalie, you will do a great job next semester as editor in chief. I cannot wait to read the Campus Times next semester.

Elizabeth, Eric, Mike, George, Shane, Maia and Gary: Thank you for all of your support and encouragement.

Thank you for being the best professors, advisers and friends.

I am so fortunate that I have had the opportunity to get to know you.

Janice, I have really enjoyed getting to know you this year. You are the best boss and you are an awesome photographer.

I also want to thank everybody else I have not mentioned by name, but who has helped me along the way.

Thank you all. I have been so blessed by knowing all of you.

Susan Acker, a senior journalism major, is editor in chief of the Campus Times. She can be reached by e-mail at susan.acker@laverne.edu.