Fair rides thrill guests

Sky Flyers has guests yelling and shouting on a high-flying adventure as they spin around in circles above the crowds at the Fairplex. At the Los Angeles County Fair, thrill-seekers can enjoy a variety of exhilarating rides. / photo by Abelina J. Nuñez

Staff Reports

The Los Angeles County Fair is back in town, and so are the notoriously thrilling, but also questionable, rides. From rides that literally sling guests into the air, to ones that throw visitors into a whirlwind obstacle course, guests can expect a thrilling time. 

The Remix 2 adds a twist to the standard swinging ride. Guests not only swing, but spin in continuous circles to the trendiest pop hits, like Hozier’s “Too Sweet.” The bouncy, upbeat songs completely contrast the addicting anxiety that guests feel as they are swung around several feet in the air. Even though this ride might not be as crazy as the other ones we rode, consider The Remix 2 as a warmup round. 

G Force is not for the faint of heart, but for thrillseekers. Guests are securely strapped down to ensure that they can withstand the gravitational force about to crash down on them. This ride swings guests back and forth, progressively getting higher each time until it feels like it is going to swing around in a complete 360 degree motion. Screams of both delight and terror could be heard around the area surrounding G Force. For those who enjoy the feeling of free falling, this ride is a perfect match. 

OMG! will have guests saying OMG! throughout the whole ride, as it is not for the faint of heart. Guests are secured in their seats with an over the shoulder harness while their feet dangle freely. The ride loops guests around while they also rotate around in their seats. The flashing lights and the fast paced music add to the thrill of the ride making guests scream the whole time. This ride is an adrenaline rush that leaves you excited and wanting more. 

OMG is one of the wildest rides at the Los Angeles County Fair, guaranteed to make riders scream. The ride starts slowly and gradually increases in speed as riders swing back and forth while spinning 360 degrees. / photo by Abelina J. Nuñez

Endeavor takes guests on a journey in a single seat where they are first spun closer to ground-level until the axis rotates, and they whirl through the air unaware of the direction they are going. Right before it feels like they will smack the ground face first, the ride scoops them up and swings them back into the air where the night sky is all they see. Techno music hypes up the riders before their screams drown out the beats. 

Ice Jet is the perfect ride for those looking to go fast without all of the loops or drops that other rides offer. Passengers are secured into two-seated snowmobiles, and they go round and round in a circle around the attraction at high speeds. The ride gradually builds speed until it reaches the point where your snowmobile turns on its side as it goes around. After a few moments of full speed, the ride then gradually goes slower until it reaches a full stop to complete the ride. Throughout the entire ride, electronic dance music or EDM is blasted through the speakers, giving the ride an upbeat vibe that gets the ride goers pumped up.

The Fair also has its fair share of obstacle courses. One course, called “New York, New York,” offered a great amount of obstacles for challengers to overcome. From spinning wheels to claustrophobia-inducing slides, participants can expect to get a miniature, albeit entertaining obstacle course experience. 

The course is also incredibly accessible, with some parts being designed to offer different paths to the next objective. However, the most difficult part of the course is the metallic rollers challengers are forced to walk on. Without proper attention, it is unyielding in its ability to force people to slow down. 

The Los Angeles County Fair runs through May 27, Thursday to Sunday at the Fairplex in Pomona. Visitors can purchase tickets at the Los Angeles County Fair’s website. Trust us, these rides are an absolute must. 

Samira Felix, Jack Janes, Stephen Gilson, Taylor Moore and Sarah Van Buskirk contributed to this story.

The Ice Jet swirls adrenaline junkies around in a polar cyclone at the Los Angeles County Fair located at the Fairplex in Pomona. The Fair offers intense rides for those who like to have their stomach dropped or milder rides for those just wanting a little breeze on their face. / photo by Sarah Van Buskirk
Grand Wheel, one of the main Ferris wheels at the Los Angeles County Fair, has guests waiting in line just to ride to enjoy a panoramic view of the Fairplex. The Fair runs every Thursday through Sunday until May 27, and tickets are available for purchase on the Fair's website. / photo by Abelina J. Nuñez
Grand Wheel, one of the main Ferris wheels at the Los Angeles County Fair, has guests waiting in line just to ride to enjoy a panoramic view of the Fairplex. The Fair runs every Thursday through Sunday until May 27, and tickets are available for purchase on the Fair’s website. / photo by Abelina J. Nuñez

The Campus Times is the weekly student newspaper for the University of La Verne.

Sarah Van Buskirk is a senior journalism major with a concentration in print and online journalism. She is the Spring 2024 editorial director for the Campus Times and has recently served as editor-in-chief, sports editor and staff writer. She is also currently a staff photographer for the Campus Times and La Verne Magazine, and a staff writer for La Verne Magazine.

Abelina J. Nuñez, senior journalism major, is a photography editor for Campus Times and staff photographer for La Verne Magazine. She previously served as LV Life editor, arts editor social media editor and staff writer. In Fall 2023, Nuñez was La Verne Magazine's editor-in-chief and was previously a staff writer as well. Her work can be found on Instagram @abelinajnunezphoto.

Comment