The Campus Times: Where it all began

At the top of the stairs in Wilson Library sits “the cage,” the home of the University of La Verne’s archives and special collections. There, along with the historical papers and other artifacts of La Verne’s 128-year history, sits the Campus Times archive. It is a nearly-complete collection of every issue published by the school newspaper since 1919.

Included in that collection is a single copy of the very first issue of the Campus Times – Vol. 1, No. 1, published Oct. 14, 1919. It is, as far as anyone knows, the only copy of that issue left. It was donated to the library decades ago by C. Ernest Davis, the former La Verne president who also gave the Campus Times its name. The century-old paper is brittle and faded now, and torn into two pieces. It is not in a fit condition to be read.

But thanks to the help of University Archivist Ben Jenkins we have been able to scan and reconstruct that first issue to share it within a modern format for a modern audience. Click on the image to download a complete PDF version of Vol. 1, No. 1.

—Eric Borer

Journalism operations manager at the University of La Verne. Production manager and business manager of the Campus Times.