Why I believe in angels

Susan Acker, Editor in Chief
Susan Acker, Editor in Chief

I was right on schedule. I had 30 minutes to get to work and I was on the 210 Freeway headed east to the 57 South.

The car hit the ground. My foot was on the gas and I was speeding through trees and bushes. I heard a smack and a thud as a branch hit the windshield and then the top of the car.

“Put your foot on the brake,” I told myself. My mind was racing.

My car came to a sudden stop. My purse was on the floor in front of the passenger seat and its contents were scattered all over the place.

I looked around and I could not see the road. I got out of the car and I realized that my left mirror was gone and my left windshield wiper was wrapped around the side of the car.

“What do I do?” I thought as I started to cry. I got back in my car and I rummaged around through the makeup, pens, papers and mints that covered the floor.

I found my cell phone and sat. “Should I call 911?” I thought. “Is this really an emergency?” I finally decided that it was.

“Hello, 911, how can I help you?” the operator said.

“I need help. I am on the side of the freeway off of the 57 and I can’t see the road.”

“Someone already called and reported the accident. If you are OK, I have to go.” Click.

I was alone on the side of the freeway and I could not figure out how I got there.

I spent the next few minutes calling everyone I could think of to call. No one could come help me.

I was talking to a friend on the phone when a man started to walk down the embankment toward me. He walked up to me and put his hand on my shoulder.

“Are you okay?” the man said.

“Yes, I am fine,” I said as a feeling of peace swept over me.

“If you’re okay, I am going to flag down the emergency vehicles,” he said.

He then turned and walked up to the road to flag down the firefighters.

They arrived and it was a mad rush of as they came down the embankment telling me that they had expected to find a dead body in a totaled car. I started to cry.

One of the firefighters then had the rest of us walk to the road and wait while he started my car. I turned to the firefighter next to me and I asked him where the man who flagged them down was so I could thank him.

“There was no man,” the firefighter said.

He then told me that there was no place for anyone to park and there was no way they could have crossed the freeway in rush hour to get to me.

I was stunned.

The firefighters drove me over to a dealership just off of the freeway and waited with me a while. My uncle finally came to help me.

Amazingly I was not hurt and my car only sustained some minor body damage.

What I will never figure out is what exactly happened that day. The firefighters said that I could have gone in to shock and passed out if I was about to get into an accident or if my car had hit an oil slick.

I have never passed out before and I was not tired, so I am sure that it was nothing medical. I have stopped guessing about that.

What I will always wonder about and what I will never know is who that man was. He did not tell me his name and the firefighters said he did not even exist. All I know is that I am pretty sure he was an angel sent to comfort me in one of the scariest and most lonely moments of my life.

Susan Acker, a senior journalism major, is editor in chief of the Campus Times. She can be reached by e-mail at susan.acker@laverne.edu.