Chaos part of historic cycle

Amanda Stutevoss, Editor in Chief

Amanda Stutevoss, Editor in Chief

“I know it ain’t their fault. Ever’ person I talked to is on the move for a damn good reason. But what’s the country coming to?Seems to me we don’t never come to nothin’.

“Always on the way. Always’s goin’ and goin’. Why don’t folks think about that? They’s moving now. People are moving. We know why, an’ we know how. Movin’ cause they got to. That’s why folks always move. Movin’ ’cause they want somepin’ better’n what they got”

–John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath.

Iraq: U.S. officials say force in the Middle East is inevitable.

New York City: Stock market plummets and has lowest September since the depression.

Norfolk, Nebraska: Five killed in bank robbery.

Oregon City, Oregon: Two girls are kidnapped and murdered by neighbor and family friend, then buried in his backyard.

Life will go on. History has shown that we as humans move at a rapid pace. We discover, we invent and we conquer, and then we reach a point where we stop and see room for growth.

For the first time in my 21 years I see the historical cycle first hand. I watch the nightly news and I see chaos in front of my eyes. People are turning to violence, corruption and lies.

We have bottomed out. Our progress has slowed down. However, this slowing does not mean that we have reached our full potential as humans. We have room to evolve, mentally and spiritually. If you look to the past, you see the inevitable truth that from chaos comes order. Just look at the Great Depression and World War II.

We were resilient. In time we were able to rebuild our economy and overcome. Out of that struggle and chaos came order.

Similarities in today’s economy seem striking. The United States is in a point where it is facing uncertainty about war with Iraq, the public has lost faith in corporate America, and a sluggish economy has dragged the stock market down, thus slowing the typically fast-paced American way.

Will this chaos eventually lead us to order, or halt all movement towards better ideals and a better life?

The Vietnam War divided the country into those who supported the fight against Communism and those who were opposed. Will the potential war with Iraq mirror that?

The division over the war initiated a political and social revolution. Americans, who at one time trusted the government, became more willing to openly criticize the government. This once again slowed our progress. But we answered back and began again to move forward.

Not long ago, the biggest concern for Americans was whether or not the president was sleeping with an intern and now we worry about whether or not our president will, once again, engage us in warfare. Americans are quicker to criticize our president and our government.

It seems to me that it is a cycle. For every 10 steps forward we take 9 steps backward. We thrive on moving forward. Technology has propelled us ahead and advances in science have put us on top of the world.

The problem is that when this forward movement ceases, people tend to question their role in this world and in society, which leads some to the point of pure chaos.

I do believe that we as humans are resilient. We will move forward in our thinking. The higher we move up the social/technological/political ladder, the further we fall.

Yet, human nature is destined to climb as high as we can again, but this time we hold on tighter and brace ourselves for the crash.

Perhaps we have discovered all there is to be discovered. Perhaps we have reached our physical limitations. That does not mean that we are confined to where we are today. I believe that this stand still mimics history. We will overcome and soon begin to move ahead again.

Amanda Stutevoss, a senior broadcasting and journalism major, is editor in chief of the Campus Times. She can be reached by e-mail at astute4@aol.com.

, , , , , ,