Commentary:Baseball’s beauty to be shown in October

Elsie Ramos, Sports Editor

Last semester I wrote a commentary piece about the 2010 Major League Baseball season, in which I said that most likely it would be the same teams going to the playoffs this year. I was not completely wrong, but there were some teams that took me by surprise.

The American League has the usual suspects: the New York Yankees and the Tampa Bay Rays fighting for the AL East and the Minnesota Twins have held the lead in the AL Central for almost the entire season. The Texas Rangers have surprised everyone and have run away with the AL West.

Besides the Philadelphia Phillies, the National League will have two new division winners heading into the playoffs. The Cincinnati Reds have shocked the baseball world and have stolen the NL Central from the St. Louis Cardinals.

While the NL West is the only division in baseball where three teams have a chance to win it. The San Diego Padres, the San Francisco Giants and the Colorado Rockies are all very much in the race to win the division.

Of course, I would have loved to see my team play in October, and even though it hurts to admit it, that is what I love about the game: one season you could be a game away from the World Series and the next you could be at the bottom of your division.

It is just the baseball gods’ way of shaking things up and they have decided it is time to let a new group of players take center stage.

That is what makes baseball great, that we are now going to get to see pitchers, batters and outfielders that are not shown everyday on the ESPN highlight reel. It is a new group of players that are showing that they could play with the big dogs.

These so-called “no-name” players may not be as talented as the ones who get paid $25 million a season, but they show just has much dedication.

The batters are just as precise while taking their batting stance and the outfielders run just as hard to make leaping catches.

Whether we have a repeat of last season’s World Series or two new teams play in the fall classic, something great and exciting is bound to happen because postseason baseball is never dull.

Making predictions in baseball is tough because you never know what kind of curveball the baseball gods are going to throw at you.

Elsie Ramos, a sophomore journalism major, is sports editor of the Campus Times. She can be reached by e-mail at elsie.ramos@laverne.edu.