Feeling singled out

Nila Priyambodo, News Editor

Nila Priyambodo, News Editor

Are you one of those people who get annoyed by the “fans” that claim they like a band, but really only know that one hit single? Well, I am.

They tell you that they are huge fans of the band, but when you ask them what songs they like, they can only name one. Not only that, but they can only name the one that is “coincidentally” the number one hit single. In addition, it’s usually the song that gets overplayed on KIIS FM and MTV’s “Total Request Live.”

For example, people claim they love the band Hoobastank, but the only song they know is “The Reason.” Or they say they love Linkin Park, but what song do they like? “In the End.” A recent example is how people claim to be a huge fan of The Killers, but they have only heard of the song “Somebody Told Me.” However, one of my favorite examples would have to be how people say they love Nirvana and the only song they can think of is “Smells Like Teen Spirit.” The real fans usually don’t like these singles in the first place.

Before these singles were ever released, the majority of the people had never heard of these bands. But soon after radio stations like KIIS FM begin to overplay them, people started claiming to be their fans. Where were they when the band released their other singles?

I wouldn’t mind so much if they would just say they like the song, actually that would be a lot better. But don’t claim to like the band or be a fan of the band if you only know that one song.

No one is going to hate you if you tell them you like that one song. It’s better to tell them that than to pretend to be a fan of the band.

What I want to know is what is so special about this one song anyways? What sets that one song apart from the other songs on the CD? What makes that one song the “hit” song? I guess I will never find out.

Sometimes it’s not just overplaying a song on the radio. Before the television show “The O.C.” came along, many people had not heard of the band Rooney. But what does this “Beverly Hills 90210” copycat show do? They get Rooney to play a few of their songs on the show and the next day, Rooney fans come crawling out from nowhere. After listening to them one time, they give themselves the title of “fan.” Do they really have the right to do this? I don’t think so.

I also get annoyed when these “fans” go to a concert to watch the band perform live, but only request them to sing their hit single because this is the only song they know. Then when the band is singing their other songs, these “fans” will fake sing (moving their mouths like they know the words) throughout the rest of the night. If you don’t know the songs, then don’t try to sing them. What’s so hard about that?

Another pet peeve that I have is when you wear a band shirt and these “fans” come up to you, point at your shirt and tell you they love that band too. But just like the other cases, when you ask them what songs they like they can only name that one song.

So before you claim to be a huge fan of the band, make sure you are just that, a fan of the band and not a fan of the song.

You know you are a fan of the song if you can’t name the band’s other songs or if you fake sing the other songs at a concert. One final tip: Be careful what you say in front of the true fan. They can tell the difference.

Nila Priyambodo, a sophomore journalism major, is news editor of the Campus Times. She can be reached by e-mail at npriyambodo@ulv.edu.

, , , , ,