O’Brien relieves Walker withdrawl

Nila Priyambodo, Managing Editor

Nila Priyambodo, Managing Editor

After six months of withdrawal, I finally got my fix. I have followed late night talk show host Conan O’Brien’s motto throughout the rough times. I have “kept cool,” until the “Walker, Texas Ranger” lever returned.

To remind those that read my column or to inform those that do not, in October I went through a “Walker” lever withdrawal.

For those not familiar with the show, O’Brien would set aside a segment of his show to dedicate it to “Walker” clips. Every time O’Brien pulled on the lever, a “Walker” clip would be shown. After several continuous days of the “Walker” clips, O’Brien never returned with the lever.

A few weeks ago, I watched “Late Night with Conan O’Brien” like I usually do each night. After his opening monologue, O’Brien would walk over and sit behind his desk.

On the Tuesday of that week, as O’Brien was walking to his desk, I saw an old friend. Lo and behold, there it was: the beautiful red and yellow “Walker” lever.

O’Brien brought back the lever to celebrate a special day: Chuck Norris’ birthday. “Walker” clips would be shown for the rest of the week to celebrate this one of a kind day.

After several months passed, I did not think they would ever return with the popular lever. I had lost hope.

But when they brought this golden lever back into my life, I was overwhelmed with happiness.

Although it was Norris’ birthday, the return of the lever made me feel like it was mine.

There were a few special clips from the batch that I will never forget.

Imagine this: two of Walker’s enemies are in a truck. The passenger of the truck asks if Walker will find them and the driver replies, “You can depend on Walker to be there.” Then the passenger raises his two clenched fists in front of his face and says, “Well I depend on these.”

Another memorable clip is one with a man and a pigeon. Picture a nice old man just minding his own business feeding a pigeon. Then two thugs come into the picture, but the nice old man is still feeding the birds. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, you see one of the thugs kick the pigeon. It was quite unexpected and quite hilarious.

One of my favorite clips is one where Walker is at a rodeo. At this rodeo, a man is about to be attacked by a bull. The bull is charging toward the man and what does Walker do? He steps in front of the man and attempts to stop the bull. Apparently, Walker thinks he is undefeatable and strong enough to go against a raging bull. Just imagining the different possible outcomes of the incident is too funny.

To add to this hilarious clip, O’Brien quickly jumps out of his chair and over his desk to pretend that the camera is the bull, trying to stop it. O’Brien’s reenactment made me laugh so hard it brought tears to my eyes.

Being reunited with the lever and having a week’s worth of “Walker” clips made my year. It finally brought the closure I needed.

I suggest that everyone follow O’Brien’s motto. I did and it was a tremendous help when I was going through my withdrawal.

So if you are ever in a bad situation, just remember: “Keep cool, my babies. Keep cool.”

Nila Priyambodo, a sophomore journalism major, is managing editor of the Campus Times. She can be reached by e-mail at npriyambodo@ulv.edu.

, , , ,