Making move worth experience

Damien Alarcon, Editor in Chief

Damien Alarcon, Editor in Chief

College students may endure an internal conflict near the end of their four-year term of school concerning what steps they should take next.

“What do I really want to do?”

“Should I accept this job or that one?”

“Should I go to graduate school now or later?”

These questions and many others may flush through the minds of many college students. Many of them may be a little scared of the future and the uncertainty that it beholds. Probably the most vital decisions come when determining what job one should take. Another option would be to continue schooling through a graduate program, and put the career decision on hold.

In any case, students should not limit themselves to Southern California or whatever area with which they are most familiar, whether it be for furthering their education or accepting a job.

During this past January, a group of students traveled to New York, Washington and Atlanta, myself included. The class served as an upper-division course. Throughout the trip, we visited different media companies and were given information on how the operations work.

Aside from that, we were given the opportunity to explore a completely different environment from my home, Southern California.

New York in itself was incredible. There is nothing like it. Many things are concentrated in Manhattan Island. Most of the major television programs are stationed in New York such as “Saturday Night Live,” “Late Night with Conan O’Brien” and “MTV Live.” It is also home to the Statue of Liberty, the Stock Exchange, Madison Square Garden, dozens of musicals and theaters, clubs and great-tasting delis. The freezing temperatures also contributed to New York’s uniqueness. Unfortunately, we only stayed in New York for six days.

It was not until we were in Washington, D.C., that the idea of working in the East Coast entered my mind. I met up with my cousin, Mark, who attends law school at Georgetown University. Mark is originally from Hacienda Heights and in the past two years, I have seen him twice. Both times were during Christmas.

We got into a discussion about the Washington area and he told me how much he likes living there. From that, we talked about the job availability within the region. The two of us walked to a bookstore and he bought me a city magazine that had a list of currently available jobs in the area.

The thought of moving out there to work was surprising to me, and at the same time puzzling. Would I really be willing to move out here for a job?

On the trip back home, I came to the conclusion that yes, I would be willing to either go to school or accept a position in D.C. or New York. Since my arrival home, I have discussed attending graduate school in New York with my family.

People should not limit themselves to a common place for jobs or school. Southern California is overpopulated and finding a job may be tedious.

Do not get me wrong, Southern California is great and nothing is more fun than spending an entire day at the beach with your friends. But, if I was offered a job in BooFoo, Arkansas, with a large salary involved, I would jump at the proposition.

Staying at one area all your life, in a way, is sad. The world is huge and there are places that are fantastic in their own way or unique. By being unwilling to or frightened by moving to an area that is far from or different than your own is just like tying a leash around your own neck and attaching the other end to a tree.

Even if you have a terrible experience or are unhappy with the decision you made, you can always move back. Southern California will always be here.

Life is long and people, students included, should try to make use of what the world has to offer. Through vacations, school or career opportunities, we should experience other cities, states or countries which all lead to having fun and appreciation for places other than California. If anything, please go to New York.

Damien Alarcon, a senior journalism major, is editor in chief of the Campus Times. He can be reached by e-mail at alarcond@ulv.edu.

, , , , , ,