College friendships leave lasting impressions

Jazmine Ponce, Managing Editor

Jazmine Ponce, Managing Editor

In life, sometimes, there are friends or acquaintances you are destined to meet. Some change your life for the better and maybe one or two of them change your life for the worse. It seems there is a synchronicity in life where the people around you are destined to be there to influence, educate and enrich your life in some way.

Unlike high school, where a majority of people are wearing masks and trying to be something they are not to impress a social clique, in college, people are genuinely real and all the facades are thrown out. In college, nobody cares if you were homecoming king, editor in chief of the yearbook or a cheerleader. When it comes to acquaintances and friendships in college, the people you meet like you for you and as the person you express in conversation, class and everyday activity.

Aside from being able to study a major I really enjoy, I feel it is the people I have met that have made my college experience so memorable and fun. I feel that some of the people I am friends with and see everyday if I went to high school with them I probably would have never really got to know them the way I do now because of the stupid little cliquey like attitudes we possess in high school. That is why I love the culture you gain from college. You are able to meet people from all over who have interesting, different and amazing views on life and the world.

I feel that the people I have met here at ULV have somehow shaped or enriched my life in some way and continue to do so. I cherish the close friendships I have gained with one of the first friends I made at ULV, Georgina. We have been friends for more than three years. Even though we do not have class together anymore, we see each other almost everyday. She is one of the people I feel I can just talk to about anything. Another friend is Jennifer, who was my roommate for two years aside from our ironic similarities (being the only child and born on the exact date and year), we had a lot of similar tastes. From her I learned a lot about theatre (her passion), and we were able to be each other’s rock during that abnormally weird period of going from living at home as an only child to having a roommate and living at school. Through her I met Jessica who is also a member of theatre. I admire Jessica for her acting ability, openness and ability to just have fun. From them I feel I have learned a lot about the different aspects of life I never thought of.

One part my life where I have been able to meet and associate with a variety of people has been from being a part of the Campus Times. Each semester I meet new and interesting people that either change my views and perceptions or just fascinate me by their will and talent. I love that CT is like a little family, we can tease each other, laugh, annoy each other and just have fun.

First there is Alisha, I feel she is one of my good friends I have gained through CT; I admire her strength, and I enjoy our little talks. Danny has to be one of the funny, crazy and most sincere person I have met here. I admire his ability to be goofy and caring at the same time. Then there is Brice who has a wry sardonic wit and brother-like quality where there always seems to be a banter of teasing, which is a good thing. Then there is practically everybody else who I have met through CT. A majority of them I admire for their individuality and humor.

My experiences with these people have made me grow to become more of the person I want to be. There is a saying that friends you meet in college will last a lifetime, and I truly hope they do.

Jazmine Ponce, a senior journalism major, is managing editor of the Campus Times. She can be reached by e-mail at jponce@ulv.edu.

, , , , , ,